Levitra (vardenafil Hydrochloride) can be taken orally to treat erectile disorder (ED). It is in the same category as Viagra and Cialis, which are popular ED medications.
How does Levitra compare with other ED medications? Let’s get into how it’s used to treat ED, how it stacks up against other medications, and what side effects and precautions you should be aware of.
What is Levitra’s effect on ED?
Levitra is a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor (PDE5), just like Viagra and Cialis. These types of medications work by blocking your body’s production of an enzyme called PDE5 that’s part of the reason ED happens.
Here are the steps Levitra can take to treat ED.
- A touch stimulates the penis nerves and causes an erection to occur.Next, nitric oxygen is released. This creates substances that help smooth muscles relax and allow blood flow into the corpora Cavernosa. These are the two pieces of spongy, cylindrical tissue that run along your penis’ top. Your penis will grow and harden because of this extra blood flow.
- Your nerves can’t correctly relay signals when you have ED Between your brain and penis This will allow nitric dioxide to be released, and your muscles to relax.This means that blood cannot flow to your penis, preventing you from having an erection. Overactive PDE5 enzymes rapidly break down substances that nitric dioxide releases to aid in erection. This makes it difficult for smooth muscles to relax.
- Levitra prevents PDE5’s breakdown of substances made by nitric oxygen that allow your smooth muscles to relax.This allows blood to flow more easily into your penis tissues, giving you an easier erection.
Levitra Benefits Research
There’s a lot of researchTrusted Source about the effectiveness of PDE5 inhibitors in general as well as on Levitra.
A 2009 review Trusted Source of research on Levitra found that the medication is generally effective for helping people with ED quickly and reliably get erections when they’re sexually stimulated that lasted long enough for satisfying sex.
Also, Levitra proved to be especially beneficial for those who suffered from ED due to:
- High blood pressure
- Dyslipidemia (high blood fat)
- aging, one of the factors most correlated with EDTrusted Source
A 2018 studyTrustedSource of 61 men suffering from sleep apnea (another risk factor) examined the effects of Levitra on a 12-week-long period. A study found that continuous use of Levitra (10 mg) and a CPAP machine can lead to more consistent erections, and greater sexual satisfaction.
Levitra is known for its “fast-acting effects”. People who have used Levitra say that the drug starts working in less than an hour. Many people report that they can have an erection for as long as 5 hours after taking the medication. It stays in your bloodstream for approximately 5 hours before it starts to be eliminated through sweat and urine.
Levitra Dosage and How to Use
Levitra is available in oral tablets of 5 mg and 10 mg. It is best to wait about an hour before having sex. That way, your hormones can have time to break down and give you better results. Levitra should only be taken once daily before you have sex. Ask your doctor if you would prefer to have sex several times per day.
Levitra side effects
Here are some possible side effects to Levitra
- stuffy nose
- Gas and bloating
- Flushing and redness
- Your lower back hurts
- Confusion or disorientation
Priapism is a rare side effect that happens when you have a single erection that lasts 4 hours or more. This can lead to blood pooling and oxygen loss in the penis. This can make your erection painful, and can even cause tissue damage.
Other side effects reported from Levitra, including blurred vision and even loss of sight, are rare.
If you are experiencing priapism and severe forms of any symptoms mentioned above, it is important to immediately call your doctor. All of these can be signs of a serious medical emergency.
Levitra pros & cons
These are the pros and cons of Levitra as reported by Levitra users:
- After being taken, it works quickly.
- You don’t have to take it with food. It may be more effective if you have an empty stomach.
- It can be used to replace higher doses PDE5 inhibitors such as Viagra, which may have higher side effects.
- Many users have reported very painful erections, which may occur multiple times per day.
- It can only be taken one time per day, just like other PDE5 inhibitors.
- It can cause vision problems or headaches.
- If you lose or gain significant weight, it may be less effective.
- It is possible for erection to begin in as little as an hour or as long as three hours.
- If you are overweight or have nutrient deficiencies, your erections might not last as long.
- Side effects such as stomach pain, stuffy nose, or flushing are quite common.
It is possible to have a better erection by taking it with Norco pain medication